I've been doing some preliminary testing with several pieces of software to see if it would run under my chosen platform: Ubuntu 9.10.
I've mainly included CCV (formaly tbeta) and ReacTIVision in my testing of the software. As for CCV, I've found it required a lot of dependencies and I couldn't get the software to work properly. It did not recognize my PS3Eye for example even after trying to compile from source.
So, since I also wanted to use fiducials, I decided to try ReacTIVision. It worked instantly! ;)
Before I could use reacTIVision I had to do some minor tweaks. First of all, I downloaded and installed a patch to add some configuarability to the driver for the PS3 in Linux. The patch was created by a guy calling himself Kaswy and can be found here with some info on display modes and resolutions here.
After downloading the patch and re-loading the kernel module with modprobe, I tried to start up reacTIVision. Turns out there are two things you need in order for you to use reacTIVision on a default Ubuntu 9.10 install.
- Check if there is a /dev/raw1394 device present. If not, running the following command should generally fix that: sudo modprobe raw1394
- Start reacTIVision using sudo: sudo reacTIVision
After this, I got reacTIVision to start and it recognized my PS3 webcam without incident. Thanks to the patch I loaded earlier, I was able to configure the driver to use 640x480 at 60 FPS which produced quite nice results.
Since the camera driver and blob tracking software now seemed to be working, I decided to setup the demo and simulation software to see if that all worked. I started up the demo and the simulation software and it worked instantly. Moving a fiducial on the simulated screen or clicking and dragging on the simulated screen with my mouse allowed me to manipulate the photos in the demo.
As a final test, I wanted to see if actual fiducials would be picked up by the webcam and reacTIVision software. To this end, I printed a couple of fiducial patterns from the sheets included in the reacTIVision download. I wanted the patterns to be able to withstand some wear and tear and it have a good contrast, so I decided to laminate the printed fiducials.
Common sense would suggest that it is not a good idea to cut through the laminated result since air might get in between the plastic and paper thus rendering the lamination useless. I've found however that I was perfectly able to cut through it without losing cohesion between the plastic and paper layers. The end result was a high contrast, glossy fiducial pattern.
All in all, things are moving along nicely. My next post will concern the building of the frame which is almost finished.